Wednesday, October 30, 2013

DIY - Slow Cooker Granola

Over the last three years I have been looking for ways to lower my electric bill. I started with hanging my clothes to dry as much as possible. Then I switched to an energy select plan that charges me different rates based on the time of day. This required us to schedule time for the hot water heater to be off and not use our dryer or oven during high rate times. The most recent challenge I have taken on is using my slow cooker and small toaster oven instead of the oven all the time.

Granola was my biggest challenge in this department because it is now our cereal replacement and we go through it often. I researched and found out that you can use the slow cooker to make granola (WHAT?!), so I jumped right on that. I had some of the finished product this morning and it was just as good as the oven version.

Christina's Fall Granola
Recipe (6 servings):
3c rolled oats
2c sliced almonds
3/4c shredded coconut
1/4c+2T brown sugar
1/4c ground flax seed
2t pumpkin pie spice
1/4c olive oil
1/4c puree pumpkin
1/4c+2T maple syrup
3/4t salt
1/4-1c dried currants

In one bowl mix together the oats, almonds, coconut, brown sugar, flax, and spice. 

In another bowl (or measuring cup like me) mix together the oil, pumpkin, syrup, and salt. 
Add the wet to the dry and mix well. "Bake" in the slow cooker on low 2-4 hours stirring every 30 minutes
 (or if you are like me, when you happen to walk by). 
When the granola is how you like it, add the currants and mix. Store in your favorite container and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment